.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Salade Frisee with Deep-Fried Poached Egg



Ever since I saw this done on Iron Chef America (with an ostrich egg I think), I wanted to try this. You poach an egg, coat it in breadcrumbs and then deep-fry it. Then I saw Devra First's favorites list in last Wednesday's Boston Globe which included the frisee salad from Petit Robert Bistro. Devra called this "..the most decadent salad ever." So of course I had to try making one myself!

I didn't use quite as much frisee as the Petit Robert version and I also didn't include lardons or bacon (only because I didn't happen to have any on hand). I spiced it up a bit by mixing some piment d'Espelette (a red pepper condiment popular in the Basque regions of France and Spain) into the Panko breadcrumbs. Finally, I used a Basil dressing instead of the traditional vinaigrette.

Wow, was this good (if I do say so myself)! The piment d'Espelette added a nice little kick and the basil dressing still had enough acidity to cut through the egg.

This is not something I'll have every day, but it's definitely going on the list as a special occasion brunch dish. Can't wait to try this out on my wife's French relatives...

Click on the picture to see my creation in all it's runny goodness...

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?